Tuesday, May 22, 2007

My Brother, My Sister, and I


The book My Brother, My Sister, and I by Yoko Kawashima Watkins was not as great as her first one, well... that's my opinion. I read her first one, So Far From the Bamboo Grove (the story of her escape from Korea to Japan during World War II), and was so amazed by her story that I really wanted here the rest of her fascinating story. I guess that the events just didn't seem as trivial as what she had already been through, it was more of just the consequences and not the terrible event. I'm not sure that makes sense, but the point is that it just wasn't as exciting. But, still, I am absolutely amazed by how humble they are. The family was well-to-do before the war but they lost that all when her dad became a Russian prisoner and the girls had to escape in the middle of the night not to see their brother again until they were in Japan. Once there they had to scrounge for food, they'd eat what no one else would and they were so grateful for it. That stuff really makes me grateful and more appreciative for the luxuries I have!

No comments: