Monday, November 12, 2007

The Great and Terrible Beauty

I really enjoyed the story of The Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray! It was a story that, if the opportunity would've been possible, I could cuddle up on the couch and read it through. It was a very easy read, the story flowed very nicely. The one thing I didn't like was the Gemma, the main character's, lack of responsibility for learning her purpose of her gift. She was told over and over that there was a great evil and she was to destroy it, but she never made a real effort to learn about it and how to defeat it. So when the time came that she faced the evil it was very anti-climatic. As I said, though, I really enjoyed the story. It is your classical late 1800 girl's boarding school experience with all the pressures entangled in a young woman's role at that time with an occult twist!

For another opinion feel free to check out my friend's review at Book Nut!

No comments: