Monday, January 28, 2008

In Loving Memory

President Gordon B. Hinckley, prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, passed away Sunday night. He was/is such a sweet and fun man. I especially loved his playful personality, he's very unique! It's been interesting to listen to what people will remember him most for. He was the prophet for 13 years, as long as those my age can remember, so his influence was incredible. It's also reminded me of several things I've overlooked... "The Six Bs", the obvious conference center and all the temples he's had built, and so on. But I mostly enjoy the personal stories. For me, it was a talk he gave the spring of my 8th grade year (1998) titled "Living Worthy of the Girl You Will Someday Marry." I know the title doesn't make sense, but what it is is a talk he gave at the Priesthood Session of General Conference that year. It's telling the young men how to live worthy of their future wives. I was awestruck by his respect for women (especially young women in this case), it made me want to be that young woman he was talking about, to live my life worthy of those standards he's setting for the men as well! These are his words:
"As I looked at that gathering of beautiful young women (at a Young Women's Conference the previous week) the question moved through my mind, 'Are we rearing a generation of young men worthy of them? Those girls are so fresh and vibrant. They are beautiful. They are bright. They are able. They are faithful. They are virtuous. They are true. They are simply wonderful. They are simply wonderful and delightful young women."
The talk was amazing to me, and as a Young Women at such an impressionable time in life, they were words I wouldn't forget and I read many times over again! He is going to be greatly missed, because he was so incredible. Knowing what I know (and other's know who have a testimony of this gospel) he is now with his wife after fulfilling a marvelous long life. And the church will not waver because it has been so well organized, by God himself, that there are things being done so that we, the members, will be sustaining the new prophet before we know it. It is all a great thing and we are all so grateful for the time we shared with Pres. Hinckley!

1 comment:

Kolbi Young said...

This is a beautiful testimony, Tami! I am also grateful for his focus on rearing righteous youth! He will be missed, but is now with his sweetheart, which I am so glad to know!