Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral

Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral by Kris Radish was a very interesting ride. I didn't quite know what to expect since the woman in Book Club that chose it warned us that it may have quite an effect on us both from the language and grieving. Of course, I have built a tough skin around my "grieving wound" so that I can continue on living without breaking down and just crying all day since I miss my mom so incredibly much so I figured it wouldn't have an effect on me at all... yeah right. Well, as these brilliant women drop everything to go on this traveling funeral in honor of their late friend, Annie, a lot of emotions were brought to the surface within myself. Loss, which were my favorite discussions that the women had, is such an interesting thing. So painful but there to make us stronger. Besides all of the emotions I felt for mom, I really enjoyed living life through the women in this story. What a wonderful opportunity they had! And it was amazing how they were all able to come together, these five women who only knew each other because of Annie, were able to spend so much time together in harmony (mostly). I didn't like the lesbian/gayist attitude that was the underlying voice throughout the book, or the vulgar language they used so casually, but I did enjoy reading their fabulous experience!

No comments: