Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Quiet Books

I love The Finch Family and Games, they make the cutest helpers for a whole lot of LDS needs. Most recently I've been working on these quiet books (first known as file folders, but I did it a little different) to keep the kids busy during sacrament meeting, and now I am officially done! I absolutely love how they turned out! Each book has fourteen two-page activities. I made two of them since one kid always wants exactly what the other one has... yes, my kids are spoiled! But I love it, it's a fun part of being a mom (at least I think so). I say I'm "officially done" because I thought I was... at first I thought I would just have the kids lay the pieces in place, but when it actually went into use the lamination made it too slippery. I didn't want to use Velcro, because I think it's too noisy. I thought about sticky-tack but I don't think my kids understand how to use it right, maybe Liv but I could only foresee trouble when it got into the hands of Gary boy. With combined heads Todd and my MIL came up with magnets... so I cut up the thin magnets used for business cards into small squares. Turns out it works well enough! The kids love them & I'm excited for quieter (I hope) meetings in the future!

14 comments:

Jennie said...

Those books are so cute! I bet your kids will love them.

Wardles said...

I have a family in my ward that has similar things... I think they were the folders you were talking about. They used magnets as well, and it works great for them. They look very cute Tami!

Aly said...

Those books are ADORABLE!!! You are so creative!!! Did it take you very long to complete the books?

Chellie said...

I think I need to make one for Scarlet! Oh my cuteness!!

tami and todd said...

Thanks everyone! I think it might've taken about two months to fully complete both of them, but I enjoyed all the hours I spent coloring... well until the last couple page! I found the books at my local Deseret Book, or you can see what they have on their website if you click the words "finch family games" in this post. They also make more involved ones for older ages, so look into those, Chel, if you want to make some for your boys too.

Em said...

That is an awesome idea! Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU & Liv!

Suzanne said...

Tami, they turned out so cute! I'll bet your kids are enjoying them so much!

Laura Joy and Quinton said...

I need one of those to keep Quinton's attention in sacrament meeting!

Laura Joy and Quinton said...

I need one of those to keep Quinton's attention in sacrament meeting!

Fowler family said...

Oh, these are adorable! I'd love to make some. I went to the Finch family website, but couldn't tell which book you used (is it still in print). Could you tell me the name of the book. I love those chair/ark/armor pages. So fun!

Unknown said...

Thank you for this idea!! I'm going to try this!!! :)

Benj and Melinda said...

Super cute! I am starting to make one for my girls. Thanks for the idea. I just had one question... how are you storing all the pieces to each page? THANKS!

Raines All Day said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aw said...

What are the titles of the books you used? I haven’t been able to find the ones with games that are geared more toward church.