Tuesday, March 27, 2007

So Far From the Bamboo Grove


I really liked this story even though it wasn't written well, and I was very surprised to find out that their was all sorts of controversy because of it. I saw it as an honorable tale of a young girl's experience of war. A sad story of learning just to survive, and the love of a family taking care of one another. I cannot imagine what it would be like at 11 to see and go through the things Yoko did. I cannot imagine what it would be like to dig through the garbage for food just enough to survive off of. To hold my mother as she died in a train station where you'd fight just for the ground you sat on. It is an incredible story and I would recommend it to anyone! Learn more about Yoko Kawashima (http://www.uvm.edu/~litblock/webquest/236Spring2003/King/)... I look forward to reading her book that tells more of her life story

No comments: