Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Mere Christianity


I am ready to write my official review of the book Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis since we have now had our book club discussion. Keep in mind while you read this review that my fellow book clubbers and myself are all members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints so of course our oppinions are based around our beliefs. As for myself I have real mixed feelings about how I felt about the book. There was so much stuff in it that I learned and inspired me to better myself, but there were other things that I think he was very confused on and it appeared that he didn't know the full truth. The s at book club agreed on this mostly. Up until the chapter on "The One Personal God" we loved everything & could tell that he totally got what Christianity was all about. When he'd discuss the Holy Trinity, as one lady put it, he just barely missed the boat. He'd be saying all this wonderful stuff & it'd make sense and then he'd steer off in the wrong direction. Still, there were so many great points made that helps lead to the full truth. He is, though, the most quoted non-LDS writer by general authorities... that's awesome. Overall, I would recommend this book to others, but I'm in no hurry to read it again.

3 comments:

Half a Dozen said...

I haven't read this book yet. Your review has peaked my interest. Last fall I read the Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. I found it very fasicinating, and a good read. If you are looking for another CS Lewis to read, try that this one.

tami and todd said...

I am real interested in reading The Screwtape Letters as well as The Great Divorce, they were the two most other recommended books from the ladies... I just need a break from British authors for a bit!

Heather said...

I think I'll go read that book now. And I think I'll start posting book reviews on my blog too! Great Idea!